"Transformed By The Renewing of My Mind"

So are any of ya'll reading The New Earth by Eckhart Tolle? I have to admit that Oprah talked me into read this book (The New Earth is Oprah's current "Book Club" Selection).

My mom has been a devotee of Tolle for years and introduced me to his first book (I think), The Power of Now, several years ago. Though there were things I could relate to in his writings, for some reason, I just wasn't one to jump on his band wagon.

The New Earth is a little more interesting to me, mostly because it provides a framework for understanding human behavior that I think is helpful. I do agree that it's our "thinking" that's more of a problem than reality. Identifying the "ego" and "pain body" is certainly the first step. The "second" step is not so easy....UNLESS you have been introduced to "The Work of Byron Katie." The work is an amazing tool for questioning our stressful thoughts and "stories".

This is what Eckhart Tolle says about Byron Katie and "The Work":

"Byron Katie's Work is a great blessing for our planet. The root cause of suffering is identification with our thoughts, the 'stories' that are continuously running through our minds. The Work acts like a razor-sharp sword that cuts through that illusion and enables you to know for yourself the timeless essence of your being. Joy, peace, and love emanate from it as your natural state."
Eckhart Tolle, author, The Power of Now

The great thing about "The Work" is that it's FREE. Everything you need to know about "The Work" is available for free on the website (http://www.thework.com/). You can even call their "hotline" and talk to trained facilitators who will do "The Work" with you so you can experience it for yourself. (That's one thing I love about "The Work": you can learn about it and practice it with paying a cent!)

"The Work" is the most effective tool I have found to deal with stressful thoughts. Scripture talks often about the importance of tending our minds: "speaking the truth in love", "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ", "be transformed by the renewing of your mind", "think on these things". "The Work" helps me renew my mind and open my heart to the Spirit.

What is "The Work"? It really is very simple. It consists of four questions and a "turnaround" which you apply to any stressful thought that you have. The four questions are:

Is it true?
Can you absolutely know that it is true?
How do you react when you think this thought?
Who would you be without that thought?

You can read more about the process including the "turnaround" part on "The Work" website: http://www.thework.com/

Comments

Katherine E. said…
I've never read Tolle, but I like what he said about The Work. Thanks for posting this, Kathy.

(Hey, I tagged you for a meme.)

Popular Posts